The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight commemorated its 60th anniversary in 2017 and as part of the celebrations produced 'THE FLIGHT' in association with the RAF.
‘THE FLIGHT’ is a photographic commemoration of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, arguably the most famous collection of flying warbirds in the world.
Featuring exclusive contemporary and historical imagery, combined with personal accounts, ‘THE FLIGHT’ offers a new and exciting volume that celebrates the work and the ethos of the BBMF. The carefully considered and specially commissioned air-to-air imagery by award winning photographer John Dibbs is supported by insightful and fascinating interviews and quotes from veteran aircrew compiled by Clive Rowley, former OC BBMF and unit historian.
‘THE FLIGHT’ features:
- Foreword by HRH Prince William, Duke of Cambridge & by Squadron Leader George “Johnny” Johnson MBE, DFM, Lancaster Bomb Aimer who flew with 617 Squadron on many missions during WW2 including the famous Dams Raid.
- Introduction by former OC BBMF, Squadron Leader Andy Millikin.
- Contemporary photographs of the BBMF’s unique collection of World War 2 aircraft, including Spitfires, Hurricanes and the Lancaster in their natural environment
- Archive photography from World War 2.
- Veteran Stories. Interviews and quotes from veterans who flew the types operated by the Flight are woven into the imagery.
- Brief historical backgrounds to the aircraft types used by the Flight and their roles in WW2
- Boxed featurettes, period graphics and World War 2 memorabilia add a vintage feel
- How the BBMF was born
- The BBMF today
- Keeping the dream alive